Sunday, April 13, 2008

My Model Railroading Background

I grew up along the Susquehanna river in upstate New York. The local railroad was the Delaware & Hudson. So you could say I have been planning this railroad for 30 years. While I was planning this I was active in Northeast NTrak.

NTrak is an N scale modular standard that is practiced by clubs and individuals around the world. The Northeast NTrak club is centered around Boston, MA. The club displays modules at about 10 train shows a year. The modules that I bring to the shows are a set of 5 that form a corner of the layout. It is somewhat memorable in that it features a 6 foot radius curve.

So why the sudden switch from planning to construction? As you would suspect, a lot of it has to do with free time. My son is now 17 and is a typical teenager. My wife has decided to go to Law School and spends a lot of time studying. She has about a year and a half to go. This means I have about a year and a half to get this layout running.

I started building in December of 2007. Can I make it?

No comments: